Getting back at it...

Monday, May 16, 2011
5/16/2011
Monday

Recently I have tried to get back into reading. I used to devour books. What happened? I don't know that I can really say because I don't really know the answer myself. Either way, here it goes...


So, recently, I stumbled upon The Forest of Hands and Teeth series by Carrie Ryan. It was actually a book checked out from the library by my sister in law (while I was busy stuffing my bag with books for my three year old). A couple of days after our library trip, I stole it from her and started reading it. I'm not really sure what first drew me in. I was genuinely curious about what was going on, and of course not long after reading, that was figured out, so naturally I wanted more! The Forest, to me, is a must read. I loved every bit of it. I will warn though, it is a bit depressing. Here is the summary:

“In Mary's world there are simple truths. The Sisterhood always knows best. The Guardians will protect and serve. The Unconsecrated will never relent. And you must always mind the fence that surrounds the village; the fence that protects the village from the Forest of Hands and Teeth. But, slowly, Mary’s truths are failing her. She’s learning things she never wanted to know about the Sisterhood and its secrets, and the Guardians and their power, and about the Unconsecrated and their relentlessness. When the fence is breached and her world is thrown into chaos, she must choose between her village and her future—between the one she loves and the one who loves her. And she must face the truth about the Forest of Hands and Teeth. Could there be life outside a world surrounded in so much death?” - (barnesandnoble.com)

What I give this book:

Photobucket



Now, the following book, The Dead Tossed Waves, isn't exactly a sequel. It continues with the Mary's daughter, Gabrielle. I had a harder time with it, only because I was fresh from the first book, and with it being a completely different character, it kind of threw me for a loop. After the first couple of chapters though, I was into it as much as the first. I don't want to give too much away with this one, or the next one because they really are all connected, and it really surprised me!

What I give this book:

Photobucket



The Dark and Hollow Places, I am still working on. I am into it a little bit, but for some reason I felt like I needed a break from it, I don't know why I am having a harder time with this one. I will eventually finish it. This isn't the first time I have done this with a book.






So, to fill the spaces between, I have started Melissa Marr's series, Wicked Lovely. I started Wicked Lovely on Saturday and finished it yesterday. I wasn't sure how it was going to go because initially it started out kind of slow, in my opinion. It was like that for almost half the book. Something about it just kept me reading, however. I'm glad it did! I thought it was excellent, like I said, a little slow, but well done. One thing that really stuck out to me was that it went back and forth between characters, although it isn't written from the point of view of any of them, which is something I am not used to. Usually I read stuff from first person, but I still liked this. I also have not read books about faeries either, so it was exciting for me in that aspect. :)


“Rule #3: Don't stare at invisible faeries.
Aislinn has always seen faeries. Powerful and dangerous, they walk hidden in mortal world. Aislinn fears their cruelty—especially if they learn of her Sight—and wishes she were as blind to their presence as other teens.
Rule #2: Don't speak to invisible faeries.
Now faeries are stalking her. One of them, Keenan, who is equal parts terrifying and alluring, is trying to talk to her, asking questions Aislinn is afraid to answer.
Rule #1: Don't ever attract their attention.
But it's too late. Keenan is the Summer King who has sought his queen for nine centuries. Without her, summer itself will perish. He is determined that Aislinn will become the Summer Queen at any cost—regardless of her plans or desires.
Suddenly none of the rules that have kept Aislinn safe are working anymore, and everything is on the line: her freedom; her best friend, Seth; her life; everything.” (barnesandnoble.com)

What I give this book:

Photobucket


So, that's it for now. :)

Photobucket

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for any comments! I always try to comment back.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...