A Certain Slant of Light - Laura Whitcomb

Saturday, July 9, 2011
A Certain Slant of Light
Laura Whitcomb
288 p.

In the class of the high school English teacher she has been haunting, Helen feels them: for the first time in 130 years, human eyes are looking at her. They belong to a boy, a boy who has not seemed remarkable until now. And Helen—terrified, but intrigued—is drawn to him. The fact that he is in a body and she is not presents this unlikely couple with their first challenge. But as the lovers struggle to find a way to be together, they begin to discover the secrets of their former lives and of the young people they come to possess.

First, I would like to take the opportunity to thank Jenny at Alternate Readality for this book, which I received through her giveaway.

This book was one of the best that I have read in awhile. Helen has been haunting people for around 130 years, never being seen or heard until one day she is seen by a boy in the class of the teacher she is currently haunting. She soon discovers he is like her and has found a way to take over a body.

Their relationship is challenged completely. First, there is him being in a human body, then her only being a ghost. Once they find a way to be together, it becomes even more complicated due to the families of those they possess being vastly different. It almost has a Romeo and Juliet ghost-style feel to it (which I loved, being a Romeo and Juliet fan). It is romantic, chilling and quite beautiful. I loved everything about this great novel.

On another note, I would not recommend this for young teens/tweens even though it is classified as young adult. These two are actually in their late twenties even though they have the bodies of high schoolers. While there is nothing raunchy, it is very clear what is going on between the two in more of the intimate scenes of this book. I think it would be better suited for those in their late teens and adults.

I feel this is a novel that will linger in your mind for quite some time. It left me breathless and speechless at the end. It was also quite emotional. There were moments I was smiling and others I felt tearful. This will stick with you for awhile and I do hope you will pick this one up when you get a chance!



What I give this book:
Photobucket





Photobucket

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for any comments! I always try to comment back.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...