Cryer's Cross - Lisa McMann

Saturday, February 4, 2012
Title: Cryer's Cross
Author: Lisa McMann
Pages: 233
Genre: Young Adult|Paranormal
Publication Date: 2/8/2011
Rating: *
Kendall loves her life in small town Cryer's Cross, Montana, but she also longs for something more. She knows the chances of going to school in New York are small, but she's not the type to give up easily. Even though it will mean leaving Nico, the world's sweetest boyfriend, behind.

But when Cryer's Cross is rocked by unspeakable tragedy, Kendall shoves her dreams aside and focuses on just one goal: help find her missing friends. Even if it means spending time with the one boy she shouldn't get close to... the one boy who makes her question everything she feels for Nico.

Determined to help and to stay true to the boy she's always loved, Kendall keeps up the search--and stumbles upon some frightening local history. She knows she can't stop digging, but Kendall is about to find out just how far the townspeople will go to keep their secrets buried...


Kendall lives in the small town of Cryer's Cross, Montana and dreams of going to Juilliard. She lives a relatively normal life - except for her OCD. Things start to change, however, when a young girl goes missing in their small town and then others start to disappear as well.

I had heard pretty good things about this one but I was so incredibly disappointed. I was not a fan of the writing style at all - and don't get me wrong, I have read plenty of good books written in third person, but this was not one of them. I found it to be a bit bland and monotonous.

I also felt like it focused way too much on her OCD. Kendall straightens the desks a certain way and arranges the markers a certain way. She checks her window locks so many times, etc. I understand it was supposed to be a big part of her character/personality or whatnot, but it was distracting me away from the actual story way too much and it was done in such a way that it didn't really make it interesting for me. I think it was just a little too simplistic for my taste.

Another thing, I was not creeped out in the least by this. I have read quite a few that gave me the chills, but sadly this one didn't. I was hoping for a good spook story, so again, it was disappointing.

This is the first book by Ms. McMann that I have read, and I have also heard many great things about the Wake trilogy (I actually own the first book), so I won't give up on the author yet, this particular one though was just not for me. With there being so many great reviews on this one though, I won't discourage you from giving it a go for yourself because you may find that you really like it.

3 comments:

Missbookaholicgirl said...

I must say that I loved Cryer's Cross! I do not like ready spooky books because I get scared easily This was just the right amount of "keeping me on the edge of my seat".

Samantha said...

I'm really glad you liked it, I know a lot of people seemed to really enjoy, I just personally could not get into it. I get scared easily myself, but I guess I like self torture, haha! I mean, with all the spooky books I have been reading lately. :)

Sophia said...

Oh, sorry you were so disappointed by this one. Thanks for your honest review!

Post a Comment

Thanks for any comments! I always try to comment back.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...