Firelight - Kristen Callihan

Monday, February 20, 2012
Title: Firelight
Author: Kristen Callihan
Pages: 372
Genre: Historical Fiction|Paranormal Romance
Publication Date: 1/31/2012
(eARC provided by NetGalley/Grand Central Publishing)
Rating: ****

London, 1881
Once the flames are ignited . . .
Miranda Ellis is a woman tormented. Plagued since birth by a strange and powerful gift, she has spent her entire life struggling to control her exceptional abilities. Yet one innocent but irreversible mistake has left her family's fortune decimated and forced her to wed London's most nefarious nobleman.

They will burn for eternity . . .
Lord Benjamin Archer is no ordinary man. Doomed to hide his disfigured face behind masks, Archer knows it's selfish to take Miranda as his bride. Yet he can't help being drawn to the flame-haired beauty whose touch sparks a passion he hasn't felt in a lifetime. When Archer is accused of a series of gruesome murders, he gives in to the beastly nature he has fought so hard to hide from the world. But the curse that haunts him cannot be denied. Now, to save his soul, Miranda will enter a world of dark magic and darker intrigue. For only she can see the man hiding behind the mask.

A masked man and a woman with a fiery secret equals mystery, lies, smoky-steamy tension, and an exciting romantic adventure in Firelight.

I must confess that I had a lot of trouble putting this one down. It pulled me in and kept me hooked until the last words. Miranda was a strong, snarky heroine who had no trouble defending herself. Meanwhile, Archer is a mysterious, brooding man behind a mask. Put these two together and it makes for one steamy romance!

There were a couple of predictable things, but I enjoyed this and was hooked nonetheless. I felt that these two had a great chemistry and I liked watching their relationship develop and grow into love. It was a thrilling adventure unlocking their secrets and finding out what Archer really hid behind his mask. The whole time I am wondering, what on earth is going on with this dude?! Tell me NOW! And did I mention, this character is definitely sexy! You can tell what he feels for Miranda is genuine and their relationship didn't feel forced.

One complaint is that I wish we could have seen more of Miranda's fire powers. I thought it was a great aspect and was only a bit disappointed in the lack of its use. Most of focus was found in their relationship (which I knew was coming since it is a romance) and revealing Archer's secret (which I also knew was to be expected). Still, I couldn't put it down except by force.

In the end, it was exciting, fun, gritty, and darkly sexy! I recommend this to anyone who enjoys a good, steamy paranormal romance.

Note: I would suggest this for those 18+ for the more steamy scenes

4 comments:

Jenny said...

I usually just laugh my way through romance books but maybe I'll try this one. It looks intriguing. I'll probably still laugh, though. ;)

Samantha said...

I usually don't read things like this, but it wasn't too bad. :)

Jo K said...

Romance mixed with adventure is just the kind of book I would love. I'm adding this to my TBR. Great review!

Samantha said...

Thanks!

Post a Comment

Thanks for any comments! I always try to comment back.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...