The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight - Jennifer E. Smith

Friday, February 3, 2012
Title: The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight
Author: Jennifer E. Smith
Pages: 236
Genre: Young Adult Comtemporary
Publication Date:
Rating: ****
Who would have guessed that four minutes could change everything?

Today should be one of the worst days of seventeen-year-old Hadley Sullivan's life. She's stuck at JFK, late to her father's second wedding, which is taking place in London and involves a soon to be step-mother that Hadley's never even met. Then she meets the perfect boy in the airport's cramped waiting area. His name is Oliver, he's British, and he's in seat 18C. Hadley's in 18A.

Twists of fate and quirks of timing play out in this thoughtful novel about family connections, second chances and first loves. Set over a 24-hour-period, Hadley and Oliver's story will make you believe that true love finds you when you're least expecting it.


The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight is one of the cutest books I have ever read, yet surprisingly emotional.

I went into this one expecting it to be some cutesy-mushy, unrealistic but fun, love story. This was about way more than just some cute guy Hadley meets at the airport. Hadley Sullivan is getting ready to go to her father's wedding and meet his soon-to-be bride for the first time. However, due to a string of events, she ends up missing her flight by a mere four minutes. Due to this delay, she meets Oliver -- a super cute British boy who happens to be on the same flight as her.

I really liked Hadley and her quirks - like her hatred/fear of mayo and small spaces. Hadley still hasn't gotten over her dad leaving the family and to make things worse, he is remarrying. I thought Hadley's feelings about her father were very realistic. She struggled with wanting to be permanently angry with him, yet remembering how close they had been before. I was really sucked in to the emotion here and at times had me in near tears. I felt like the relationship between them was very real - it was that of not just a father and daughter but of friends as well.

Now we have Oliver. He is so quirky and cute (how could I ever choose between him and Etienne St. Clair?!). He and Hadley are different but in such a way that it works. However, it is clear that Oliver has issues of his own to face and overcome but he doesn't let that stop him from shining.

I would really recommend this to anyone who is looking for a truly adorable love story but also one that proves you can overcome problems and defy the rules of love.

5 comments:

Missbookaholicgirl said...

Sounds awesome! I saw this at the bookstore and added it to my TBR list. Thanks for the review!

Samantha said...

I thought it was pretty great myself. :)

Tales of Whimsy said...

I really must try this one. I keep hearing awesome stuff about it :)

Samantha said...

It really is a great read!

Hazal said...

I've heard it dubbed as the new 'One Day' which interested me right away!

Post a Comment

Thanks for any comments! I always try to comment back.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...